Saturday, November 06, 2004

The Day Before NYC

I slept until 8AM this morning and then met Pete and Sean downstairs for a quick run through Central Pak. We headed up 7th avenue and to Central Park and then joined the huge "Freedom Run" that the NYC Roadrunners have for the international participants. We were able to run the last part of the race course and actually cross the finish line a day early. I have never been to Central Park and it was very beautiful. I saw the skating rink they always show on the movies and a the leaves were turning as well. Along the way Pete's calf seized up, so he ended up being put out of the race. It was a shame since he worked so hard over the Summer to peak at NYC. He went back to the Expo and pulled out of the race, so he has a guaranteed entry for next year.

After the run Sean and I ate breakfast at the Star Diner and I headed back to my hotel. I ventured out and probably shouldn't have, but I wanted to pay my respects to the Ground Zero. I jumped on the subway, but due to construction ended up getting with a couple of miles before I decided to turn around. I rode back uptown to Rockefeller plaza and headed over to American Girl to buy Emma and Caroline some birthday and Christmas gifts. The place was a zoo...they are making a killing. I then dropped by St. Patrick's Cathedral and lit a candle for a safe race day. It is such a beautiful church. There was a couple getting married amidst all of the tourists. I finally walked back to my hotel and got in around 2PM. That was 3 hours on my feet that I didn't need.

I spent the afternoon napping, watching football and preparing my race bag. I left around 6:30 to meet Sean and his buddy Peter for dinner. We went downtown to an ale house and has some great pasta. We watched UT look like crap in the first half against OK State and finished around half time. I headed back to my hotel and watched the rest of the game before going to bed...big things happening in the AM!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home