Sunday, January 01, 2006

Trip to Disneyland and Home Recap

Happy New Year! I am finally alive enough to write about our adventure after we left Tucson. We had a great Christmas day with my family. Presents, great food, and some quality time together. I don't get to see them nearly enough and treasure the time I do get with them. The kids were totally surprised when we told them we were headed to Disneyland on Christmas day.

12/26/05
Anyway, I got up and ran on Monday AM around 7 so we could get on the road by 9 to Disneyland. I went just over 6 miles at an 8:34 pace. Little did I know it would be my last run of 2005. It was long day of driving for me and Carla. The traffic was crazy heading into LA on I-10 starting in Palm Springs all the way in to the southern freeway that takes you to Anaheim.We made it to the Disneyland hotel around 3PM and quickly checked in so we could hit the park. The crowds were crazy, but it was nice to be there. The decorations, lights and all that were amazing. We took in the Holiday parade once we got in and then rode a few rides before heading back to the room around 9PM. We watched the fireworks from our room and then turned in. We wanted to get up early to hit all the good rides before the crowds got crazy again.

12/27/05 - Day 2 at Disneyland
We hit most of the major rides in the AM at Disneyland and then headed into Downtown Disney for lunch. This was the turning point of the trip. We ate a place called Brennan's which is an off shoot of the famous New Orleans restaurant. The food was terrible and I think I got food posioning from that lunch. We had a great afternoon and evening at the California Adventure Park and then headed back to the hotel. Early in the AM, the stomach violence hit. I thought it was just a passing thing, but it didn't go away.

12/28/05 - Day 3 at Disneyland
I woke up and started eating Immodium so that I could join Carla and the girls for the day. It worked for the morning and I was able to ride the Matterhorn with both girls. We hit some smaller rides and then headed over the California Adventure Park to ride Soaring Over California. We were able to get on with a very short weight and it was awesome. It simulates flying over California in a hang glider, but you get all the smells, wind and etc. of the areas you see. It was a blast and both the girls loved it. We headed over to the kiddie are and turned the girls loose. We then headed over the biggest roller coaster of both parks, California Screaming. Emma bailed so just Caroline and I rode it. I was shocked she didn't bail too, but she held strong. The ride blasted off and Caroline turned really white. We did a couple of drops and then went through the loop. Right before it ended she asked, "did we go through the loop yet?" We headed over to the Hollywood area to see the Aladdin show and that is where I started to fade quickly. I got the chills and felt like I was going to pass out. I slept during the show and then headed back to the hotel. I was down for the count...fever, chills, just plain food poisoning or the stomach flu. Carla and the girls went back to the park in the evening and I just slept...what a waste for me. I was really disappointed.

12/29/05 - Drive back to Tucson
I woke up feeling pretty good so we took the girls to breakfast with the characters. Needless to say no running again. I was weak and just wanted to eat. I ate pretty well and then we headed back to Tucson. We got there around 6 and met my brother for dinner. We watched the Wildcats play Washington State on TV and then headed to bed.

12/30/05 - Drive back to Austin
I woke up feeling really good, but a bit tired. It was 4:30 and we left at 5AM. We made really good time in the dark and stopped for gas in El Paso. I was drinking a lot so I could get hydated for the long run on Saturday. We were able to beat the Sun Bowl traffic and get through town pretty quick. We got to Van Horn around lunchtime and we were about half way home...that's when it hit again. I went back to the Immodium, but it didn't work so we kept having to stop. I was feeling terrible. Needless to say, it was a long 7 hours back to Austin. I managed to drive the last couple of hours, but as soon as we got home, the chills and fever hit again. It was a really rough night and again no running on Saturday.

I slept most of the day Saturday and wasn't able to keep food in my system until Sunday...so no running on New Year's day either. I guess the only good part of this is that I am down to 200 pounds again although feeling much weaker and not really wanting to eat too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home