Thursday, January 01, 2009

2008 Recap

2008 started out rough for me personally, but I persevered, learned a lot about myself, and deepened my faith. I was in a huge funk the first part of the year, but got through it with the help of my faith, my family, and my running buddies. The biggest lesson learned is that my life follows God's plan, not my plan. I am a control freak and when things don't go well or I lose control, I stress big time. Once I learned to "Leave It to God" things were better almost overnight. I never want to go back to that place again! The back half of the year was much better. We got rid of one of our big stress providers in June which was great. We had a nice vacation in late June and I really got into the Presidential elections. Obama getting elected was a big boost since he provides some serious hope for all of us. I hope he can truly deliver the change that is necessary for all of our sakes.

Personally, I had a good year at work. I am in my second year at Sun and continue to grow there. It's amazing what having a great manager and support will do for your career. I pray that the economy turns around so that the tech sector picks up which will help my company as well as the companies of many friends. I also did some things that I wouldn't normally do. Carla and I painted three rooms in our house which was huge. I am not handy at all and hate any type of home improvement. The rooms look great and we saved a bunch of money. I also set a goal for 2008 of reading a book a week. I finished my 52nd book on 12/29. I also read my daily devotional almost every day that I get quarterly from the Catholic Church. Reading these brief thoughts really keeps things in perspective.

As for my running, I did get back to basics and enjoy my running again. I ran the 3M Half Marathon in January and then focused on the shorter races and getting faster there. I made the mistake of cutting my long runs to less than 10 miles on Saturdays which was a huge mistake. That won't be the case this year. I had some good runs at the Cap 10k, the Bun Run 5k where I won the Clydesdale Division for the first time, and had a nice race at the Chuy's 5k. I started training for the Dallas marathon in June and didn't really do any races until I ran the Race for the Water 10 miler in November. The Dallas marathon sucked so no Boston Qualifying time for 2008, but I am not worried about it. My time will come and I am shooting for the 2010 race anyway. I continue to train with Gilbert Tuhabonye/Gilbert's Gazelles. Gilbert is a great friend and my training group is like family.

As for 2009, I will continue to chase my BQ time, but more than anything will continue to enjoy my running as I did in 2008. I want to stay healthy, work on my core, hit the gym, and spend more time helping Carla become a better runner and get Emma on the road to running so she can run in Middle School and High School. Caroline is a soccer stud already so we will keep her on that track. My big personal goal for 2009 is to have more patience with everyone I come in contact with...especially my family.

I want to wish everyone a very happy and prosperous 2009. I know I am full of hope for the future!

2008 Stats -
Ran 1873.48 Miles for the year
156.12 Miles per Month
36.03 Miles per Week

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home