Saturday, November 27, 2004

The Last Half of Freescale - Long Run

Today we ran the last 20 miles of the Freescale course. I haven't run since Tuesday and have eaten like crap the past two days so I was a little sluggish getting up in the AM. I am also battling a little cold, so when the alarm went off, I wanted to roll over.

I was really worried about my foot when I got to the starting line at Anderson and Shoal Creek. I rode up in a lady named Greta's van. I got aced out of Jay's truck by all the women. :) I started out running with Gilbert and then started running with a new Gazelle named Pam. She was a very interesting lady and I really enjoyed running with her.

My foot started out hurting pretty bad, but felt better as we progressed. I put two strips of mole skin on top of the part of the foot that hurt. It seemed to help. Running the first part of the course down to Trinity was very easy. After running the NYC marathon, it reminds me of how easy the Freescale course is. I felt really good during this section and let the slight downhill carry me. I couldn't find any of the water that Gilbert had put out, so I went without for the first 10 miles. I finally got some water at a park off of Trinity. The hills through downtown and heading across 6th street were a bit harder. We had a very strong headwind heading west that took a bit more out of us. The turn around part was also kind of boring. I need to remember that when I run the marathon so I stay mentally tough. Pam started slowing a bit so we separated on the out and back. I ran into Jay and his posse of women right across from Mangia and he led me to the power ade...I was so thirsty. Pam kept going and I never caught up with her. I headed down Lake Austin still feeling pretty good. The trail is still closed by the rock due to all the flooding, so I took the detour and got back on the trail after AHS. I started getting some stomach cramps, so I took a potty break and that did the trick. I didn't do the full 20 miles...taking a detour and crossing the I-35 bridge and heading back. I only lost about 2.5 miles, but with my foot still hurting, I figured better safe than sorry. I am still only 3 weeks past my marathon so today's effort was really good. I did 5 strides and then headed home.

My foot feels pretty good tonight, but my legs are really sore. I think it's a combination of the distance and all the crap I have been eating. It's time to get back on the healthy diet and continue flushing the bad things out of my system. Tomorrow is another rest day as I get back on my normal schedule.

17.56 Mile long run; 2:42:48; 9:16 pace
.62 mile strides and cool down
18.2 miles total for the day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home