Monday, January 09, 2006

RunTex 20 Miler

Today was the first RunTex 20 miler. This race replaced the RunTex 30k that used to be in Buda. The weather was half good and half bad. The temps were nice (50s) so we could run in a singlet, but the wind was crazy. It was a steady 20-25 MPH with gusts up to 35MPH.

I met Jay and a new guy named Peter at Gateway and we headed over to the course. I ate a Clif Bar on the way up and drank most of a 34oz Gatorade endurance. We got to the course and headed off for the warmup. I hit the porto can prior to the warmup and was able to adjust my weight and hydration. We started off and ran into Gilbert. We covered about 1.5 miles during the warmup and then did our drills. I headed off with Jay to get the race gear on. I ate a Carboom and finished off the remaining Gatorade so 34 oz in me prior to the race. We hit the bushes on the way to the start line and then blended in with our groups. I line up with Diana, Marci, and Kelly. I had no idea what to expect since I had a whole week off due to my illness and really only had a few days to get some food and re-hydrate.

The gun went off and we headed out on the back side of the Dell Diamond. We made a right turn and headed into Old Settler's park which is really big. We headed through there and through a small neighborhood before heading out into the country. The course was nice so far. We all stuck together pretty well and the first 5 miles went by without incident. I took on water at all the available stops with the exception of the very first one and ate a Carboom just before mile 4.

Miles 1 -5 Splits - 8:20, 8:08, 7:56, 7:58, 8:00

As soon as we turned the corner at mile 5 the wind blasted us in the face. We continued to work together taking turns at the front of our little pack. We would pick up some folks and drop them as we went, but it was really nice sticking together for this rough day. The second five miles of the course was mostly flat to slight downhills in the country. I ate another Carboom prior to mile 8 and continued drink at each water stop. We got to the main road that runs in front of the Dell Diamond and made a right and the wind was worse. We got along that road then made the right into Old Settler's park again. This really sucked because you could see the 10 mile people peel off and finish while we had to keep going. I thought for a second of saying screw it and quitting, but I kept on going.

Miles 6-10 Splits - 8:11, 8:02, 8:18, 8:01, 8:23
First 10 Miles - 1:21:17

After the first loop there isn't much else to say about the course. We stuck together until about mile 12 or 13 and then we separated. The ladies got ahead of me with Diana ahead of them. I caught them at a water stop and then it was just Diana and I. I ate another Carboom before mile 12 and continued to drink. We finally got some Powerade on the back side of the course. I rely on sports drink, so was disappointed to keep drinking water.

Miles 11-15 Splits - 8:12, 8:10, 8:04, 8:00, 8:05

We turned the corner again at the 14.8 mile mark and the wind hit again. This time it felt worse. I don't know if it was from fatigue or if it was getting stronger...probably a little of both. Diana and I continued to run together and I was working to eliminate the "drafters" who were really bothering me. We had one guy who was breathing really hard and coughing up a lung and this other little bastard who just camped on my left shoulder. At one point I had enough and just blasted ahead about a quarter mile. I don't know where I got the energy, but I found it. Diana didn't know that I was trying to ditch the drafter and she stayed with me stride for stride. She is very strong! We continued on and before mile 16 I drank a whole package of Enervitene. I was hoping for a little boost. As you can see by the times below it didn't help much. Diana and I were side by side until about the last couple of hundred yards where she pulled ahead. I didn't have anything left although the last mile was the fastest of the final 5 miles. I grabbed some water and went for some food waiting for Jay. I didn't have to wait long. He had an awesome race. We headed back his truck and got some dry clothes and some much needed Endurox. We then headed back to the food area to get more drink and to visit with some of the other Gazelles.

Miles 16 - 20 Splits - 8:28, 8:32, 8:39, 8:40, 8:22
Second 10 Miles - 1:23:11

Overall I was very happy with my performance. On a terrible wind day, I stayed strong and only finished 3 seconds per mile slower than my Chicago pace. I stayed mentally strong and didn't have any body breakdowns. My right glute flared up a bit, but I stayed focused and kept my form going. I ended up retaining my 2nd place crown in the Rhino division (200-220lbs) for the 3rd straight year. I got a pretty cool running hat for placing. I think I am on pace to have a good race at Freescale. I am still going to go into that race with no BQ goals. I am going to be loose and run how I feel. It has worked for the last 3 races and I need to get it to work again on marathon day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home