Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Running in Washington DC


This morning I woke up at 6AM EST and almost rolled over and went back to sleep. I am in Washington DC to support a partner launch event. I worked out yesterday morning and then walked too much yesterday afternoon. I decided to get up and run since I probably won't have the chance to run around the Capitol mall anytime soon. The weather was in the low 50s so I wore a long sleeve shirt and shorts. I headed from my hotel south to Pennsylvania Avenue...yes the street that "Dubya" lives on. I headed SE to the Capitol since I missed it on my foot tour yesterday. For some reason I thought the Capitol building in Austin is similar in size, but this one is huge and very impressive. I thought about all the laws that created in that building and all the famous people that are have worked there. It was really cool. I headed west toward the Washington Monument and passed the Smithsonian museums, the National Archive, and a bunch of other museums. I wish I had a couple of days to go exploring in them. I looped around the monument and then headed back. The trail on the mall was OK, but the thing that sucked was having to stop at all the lights to get across. We are truly spoiled in Austin to have many places to run where we don't have to stop for traffic. I made my way up 11th street where I passed Ford's Theatre and the Old Post Office. The theatre is where President Lincoln was assassinated and the Post Office is now a retail center. We visited there when I was 19 and I have some funny memories of my Dad at the Post Office from that trip.

I ended up running about 5 miles in 45-50 minutes. My Garmin only worked for part of the run, but today wasn't about mileage...it was about enjoying our nation's capitol and enjoying the run.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home