Monday, September 04, 2006

10 Mile Pace Run

Today was our annual 10 mile Labor Day "race." The plan was to meet at 6:30 and then go off at 7:00AM, but some communication problems on Saturday caused most of the folks to get there at 6:00AM. I got there and ran into Don and did a 1.5 mile warmup. We skipped the drills and walked over to the 10 miler marker on the trail. I wasn't feeling my best since I was still feeling tired from Friday's race as well as the 13.5 miles we did on Saturday. My goal was to run how I felt and hopefully be below 7:30 pace.

We took off and I was feeling really stiff. Once we got to Riverside I pulled away and just had to focus on running by myself. I felt better after I crossed I-35 and started to cruise once I was back on the trail. I was monitoring my heart rate and wanted to keep it in the 150s, but it kept creeping up to 160. I backed off a bit to get it back in the 150s and didn't seem to lose much speed. I stopped at the Holly water fountain, ate a quick CarbBoom and took a gulp of water. I started off again looking forward to the Gazelle water stop under I-35. I grabbed two cups of Gatorade and one cup of water and started off again. I started to feel tired on the north side of the trail, but my times didn't really suffer. I kept plugging away and fought through the demons. I stopped for a gulp at the fountain by the rock and wanted to finish strong. I got across the bridge and headed toward Zilker. I saw Jan coming off a water stop at the fountain and passed her right by Lou Neff point. I had about a mile and a half to go and wasn't feeling so hot (mile 8 was my slowest mile). I told myself that I had to finish strong and did just that for the last two miles. I crossed the line spent, but feeling good about the effort. I was 30 seconds slower than last year, but looked back at my running log and saw I only ran 4 miles easy the Friday before and 10 miles on Saturday. The effort I put out on Friday as well as the miles on Saturday took their toll on me.

Splits -
7:44
7:23
7:13
7:28 - water
7:14
7:39 - water
7:35
7:50 - water
7:26
7:22

I probably ran miles 2-5 too hard and I slowed miles 6-8, but finished strong the last two miles. I stretched with some of the gang and headed home. My body is feeling a bit beat up so tomorrow will probably bring a rest day or a shorter recovery run. They are forecasting rain and I love running in the rain since it reminds me of when I started running in Oregon.

Stats - 11.56 miles
Pace Run - 10.06 miles/1:15:23/7:29 pace
AHR - 158
MHR - 167

2 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

That's some good running, Frank. Good job!

September 04, 2006 9:10 PM  
Blogger Paco said...

Thanks...I am feeling great, just a little tired.

September 04, 2006 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home