Sunday, November 05, 2006

Race for the Cure 2006

Today I ran the slowest 5k of my short running career, but it was the most fun 5k I have ever run. I ran it with my 7 year old daughter Caroline who was a late substitute for my 9 year old daughter Emma. We arrived at the shuttle station just before 7AM and headed toward the lake. The bus dropped us off near the half mile mark on the trail and we walked over to RunTex to pick up Caroline's chip. She insisted on being timed because it was her first 5k and she wanted to have a time for her first race. We hit a pit stop and then got in the timed corral. I was trying to get us in the back of the corral, but a bunch of people showed up late and we were about 3/4 of the way back.

We observed the National Anthem, they sent the wheel chair racers and we were off. I tried to protect her from the idiots that lined up in the back and kamikazi their way to the front. We got across the bridge and over to Congress where we took our first walk break. We headed up Congress and covered the first mile in just over 11 minutes. I was surprised at how fast we covered it. I was thinking 15 minute miles. We ran and walked up Congress and around the Capitol. Caroline grabbed water at a couple of stops and kept going strong. We finally climbed up the hill to Guadalupe and make the nice decent to the finish line. We slowed over the last couple of miles, but at the 2 mile mark I realized we might break 40 minutes. Caroline was hanging in there, but I knew she was tired. She kept saying her hip was hurting, but it was a side stitch. We finally got onto the First Street bridge and she was still hanging tough. We took our last walk break up to the last corner and then I told her we had to finish running. We held hands and crossed the finish together with arms raised in 37:11. She ran her first 5k a little over 7 minutes slower than my first 5k five years ago which is totally awesome.

We got some water and went and got a yogurt smoothie after the race then we walked back to the shuttle station and headed to Trudy's for some breakfast. It was a wonderful morning spent with my little girl. She made me very proud today...as usual!

Stats - 3.1 miles/37:11/11:55 pace

2 Comments:

Blogger Paco said...

She was awesome!

November 07, 2006 9:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is great!! You are a great role model for her. We might have a a future Gazelle.

Thanks for the comment no my blog, I added a link to yours. :-)

November 08, 2006 5:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home