Sunday, April 03, 2005

2005 Capital 10k

Today was annual Capital 10k. I have really been looking forward to this race since the marathon...I kind of look at it as a chance to redeem myself. The weather was perfect with temps in the low 50s at the start and clear and sunny. The plan was to meet the group at 7:45, but the traffic was kind of thick and I missed them. I ran into Richard Stanford and we ran for a bit around auditorium shores. We then ran into Sean and Margaret coming across the grass. We hit the potties and then headed towards the start line. We ran into the rest of the group at the mile zero marker and did our usual drills. Gilbert showed up and we did some light stretching and then ran together over to the starting line.

Jay, Sean, Margaret and I lined up together in back of the blue corral. We had to wait about 10 minutes and then the gun went off. I took off and tried to stay in the middle of the road. I encountered a few folks that should have been in the back, but managed to get around them with minor effort. Going up Congress felt great, the little twist to get around the capitol and onto Lavaca were pretty tight with folks. Once we got onto 15th street, we were able to use both sides of the road and the traffic broke up from there. I passed a few people going up the little climb on Enfield and then took advantage of the downhill.

Miles 1 and 2 - 14:38

The climb once we got over Lamar and heading up towards MoPac was a little harder, but I still felt strong and kept passing people.

Mile 3 - 7:19

Going down the MoPac frontage road, I was feeling really good and rolled with the downhill towards RunTex. Gilbert warned me about running too fast, but I leaned forward, focused on my form and flew down it and around the turn to the Rock. I grabbed some water along this stretch because my mouth was really dry...no stopping just a splash as I ran.

Mile 4 - 7:08

Once I passed the mile 4 marker, the fatigue started to set it a bit and the demons started talking to me. It's funny because this stretch in front of AHS is where they usually visit me during the marathon. I fought them off and continued to plug away as I we headed down Cesar Chavez. I grabbed another cup of water here and kept running.

Mile 5 - 7:08

Once I passed the mile 5 marker, I tried to speed up a bit. I rounded onto the Congress bridge and started to pass some people. I saw Gilbert at the corner and he cheered me on. I passed the 6 mile marker and continued to pass people. I could see the clock and knew I would meet my goal of sub 45:00.

Final 1.2 Miles - 8:22/6:58 pace
Final Time - 44:35/7:11 pace/410 overall

I also ran a negative split:
Miles 1-3 - 21:57
Miles 3-6 - 21:18

Total mileage - 8.26 Miles
I hung out for awhile and saw many of my running friends. Everyone had a great day and it was great to hear. Jand I then jogged back to garage and One Texas Center. It was a great day for all many of us Gazelles. On this day after the passing of the Pope, we are truly blessed to be able to run and have the support of our friends and family for our healthy endeavors.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

Great job of pacing. As Gilbert would say, you were "Cohn-sis-tent" early and late, and cranked a negative split. Pretty good for an old guy. :)

April 04, 2005 7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home