Saturday, June 04, 2005

News 8k

Today was the News 8k. I got to RunTex early for Gilbert's kickoff meeting for the fall marathons. I got a cool treat and got to warm up with Gilbert by myself. It was a great experience, but I think it hurt my race time. We did two miles on the trail; some drills; and then jogged up to the start. It ended up being about a 3.4 mile warmup. My racing singlet was totally soaked.

I took a pit stop and then headed to the start. I lined up with Sean and his friend Peter. My goal was to run sub 7:00 pace. The weather was really warm...80 degrees and 100% humidity at the start.

I felt good through the first 4 miles and then lost right after crossing the First Street Bridge. The worst mile was the climb from Barton Springs Road up to Oltorf. That was my slowest mile. Peter and Sean passed me during the last mile. I was really feeling like garbage, but my pace didn't really change much. I just wasn't able to kick in the last mile like I had hoped. I think the extra long warmup may have hosed me. My masters PR string is still intact. I have run 5 races since I turned 40 and all of them have been PRs.

Garmin Auto Splits - 7:00, 7:31, 7:01, 6:50, 7:02

Official time - 35:22/7:06 pace/new PR by 28 seconds
Average Heart rate - 164
Max Heart Rate - 177

Total Mileage for the day - 9.24 miles

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home