Saturday, September 24, 2005

Last Long Run

Today was our last long run before Chicago. The distance was about 15 miles starting at the top of the old Freescale course. I ate a Clif bar and drank about 20 oz. of Gatorade Endurance before I left the house. I am going to stick with that for the marathon as well. I think the Accelerade upsets my stomach. We started around 6AM and the weather was warm and windy. IThe hurrican hit east of Houston so Austin didn't get any rain...just some gusty winds. I ran with my usual group. Gilbert said to run the first two miles as a warmup and then pickup the pace for the next 10-11 miles depending on your confidence level for the marathon. I didn't want to push it this close so I stuck with my pace that I have been doing all season. I wanted to run some miles at a bit faster pace, but not over do it. Timewise, I broke up the run into two segments. The first 13 miles and the last two as a cool down.

I ran the first two miles easy and then picked it up a little into the 8:00 mile range. My legs were feeling sluggish, but that is normal for me. The old muscles take more time to get lubed I guess.

Splits - 9:32, 8:49, 10:30 (1.25 miles), 8:17, 8:07

We got onto the Shoal Creek where I drank some water and ate a Carboom. This section is flat to down hill and I really enjoy it. Our little group rotated in and out with folks running ahead and then coming back. I was able to run with Anne, Sean, and Patrick at varoius points which was nice since we trained together all summer. Patrick and I talked about the training being the fun part of the whole marathon experience. You build a very strong bond with the people you train with...it's not only a friendship, but an enormous respect and appreciation for them for showing up every day to support and run with you. We made our second water stop along Shoal Creek where I drank some Enervitene.

Splits - 8:14, 8:26, 7:49, 8:10, 7:54

We made our way down Duval and through the campus to our last water stop at the southern edge of the UT campus. We thought we still had a couple of more hard miles to go, but G told us to use the last two miles as a cool down run...he even gave us the choice to walk back.

Splits - 8:04, 8:05, 7:22 (.92 miles)

It was a pretty good last long run. I ran faster than my long run average and felt pretty good. My heart rate was in the range I need for the race and given the temperature change in Chicago today's range should be right on. I think a little more rest over the next two weeks will do wonders on race day. I am confident and feeling strong. I am going to watch my diet very closely and get plenty of rest.

I got back to RunTex and headed over to Auditorium shores. I did 5 strides and then joined the group for stretching. We have G his trip to Chicago and they also gave him his new bike. He was very appreciative. It will be great to have G in Chicago and having him yell some encouragement at us those last few miles.

LSR stats - 13.17 Miles/1:49:27/8:19 pace
AHR - 138
MHR - 158

Cool down stats - 1.93 miles/18:08/9:24 pace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home