Sunday, December 04, 2005

2005 Decker Challenge

Today I ran my 4th Decker Challenge and 2nd as a 12k. It was a cold, blustery morning. It was really warm yesterday and the weather guys were forecasting that a front was coming through. I was hoping for the cold, but not the nasty wind.

I got to the course around 6:30 and ran into Marci on the way to the bathroom. I was able to take care of my stomach issues a couple of times before the warmup. It was so cold that I changed into pants for the warmup and was really cold with just one layer on top and gloves. We ran about a two mile warmup and then did our drills inside the barn area. We had private bathrooms and were able to get out of the wind. After the drills I headed over and stripped down to a singlet, shorts, and gloves...very cold!

The first mile went really quick and then we hit the big uphill and the winds as we headed out onto Decker lane. The other splits went up and down with the rolling hills. I drank a whole package of Enervitene at mile 4 with water and I drank at mile 6 too. The Gazelles had a water stop at the 10k mark, but I didn't get a chance to see too many folks since I was looking at the big hill at the turn and trying to get some water at the same time.

First 10k splits - 7:32, 7:57, 7:16, 7:37, 7:37 (average - missed the 4 mile split), 7:14
First 10k Time - 46:47/7:33 pace

The second 10k was really good. I ate another Enervitene at mile 8 and drank water at mile 8 and 10. I got into a good rhythm until the turn after mile 8. As soon as we headed west, it was like getting hit in the face and it was really hard. I think it was harder in my mind than it really was since my last 3 mile splits were all dancing around 7:30 and I really picked it up for the last .43 miles over the hill, through the gravel, and across the rutted road. Decker has a really crappy finish. I was really cold and just wanted to get some warm clothes on so I blew off the cool down run.

I visited with the gang in the building and everyone had a really good day with a bunch of PRs. I met Alex, Jay and his guests from NC, Jeff and Andy, for some Mangia and beers in the evening. It was the perfect ending to a good race day.

Second 10k splits - 7:46, 7:14, 7:42, 7:32, 7:25, 7:33, last .43 3:05 (7:10 pace)
Second 10k Time - 46:43/7:32 pace
Overall Time - 1:33:30/7:32 pace and it was a PR by 3:24 over last year
Overall place 187

My left foot was hurting on the outside ball of my foot. Hopefully it is nothing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home