Sunday, November 20, 2005

Motive 2005 - I Got My Mojo Back!

Today was the annual trek to NW Austin to run the Motive Half Marathon. It has to be the hardest half in the state and according to the Kenyans that kicked everyone's but a very hard half from any area. I ate a Clif Bar and drank about 20 oz. of Gatorade Endurance on the way up.

I met the group at 6:30 for the pre-race warmup and we ran a mile out and back from the finish line. I had to get in the potty line to get rid of some weight and then I headed over to the jeep to get my pants off and into my singlet. I downed a Carboom and set off for a last hydration adjustment in the bushes. It was still pretty cold out, but I think I made a good decision by wearing a singlet.

I planned to follow Gilbert's strategy by going out at a good clip for the first 5 miles, running how I felt through the hills, and then dropping the hammer at mile 8. I went out at a pretty good clip and felt good. I am carrying some extra weight and can feel it, but I didn't feel too bad during the first part. I maneuvered through the traffic pretty well and it loosened up right before we crossed over 183 and onto Jollyville. Marci caught me before we went down the big hill.

Miles 1 - 4Splits - 7:45, 7:39, 7:38, 7:45

We headed down the big hill and up the first climb. There are really 3 large hills in this section. I ate my first Carboom at the bottom of the first hill and got a cup of water. I made the first hill OK and Marci pulled a little bit ahead of me. It flattened a bit and I caught my breath and then we hit the 2nd hill. I recovered again and then made it across the flat part section before a right hand turn and up the final hill. This one is the bitch! I struggled up this one and wanted to walk, but I didn't. I made it up that hill and into the neighborhood section where it flattens a bit. The last part of the neighborhood section is a left turn where there is a rounding curve that climbs pretty good. I got through that and hit mile 8. No more really big hills! They had a king of the mountain contest that started at the bottom of the first hill and went for a mile. I ran it in 8:05...not too bad.

Miles 5-7 Splits - The Hill Section 7:41, 8:20, 8:13

I tried to pick it up after coming out onto the main road back to the Motive campus. I gradually got faster and caught Marci. We ran stride for stride as we crossed 183 into the Motive campus. We stayed together through there and onto McNeil. We headed into this older neighborhood which was kind of flat. We then hit a gradual climb onto the big curvy road that takes you to Reata Trace and all of the apartments that surround the Motive campus. Marci and I hit mile 12 and then I pulled away from her. She is an amazing runner at her age...I will keep that a secret, and I really like running and training with her. I focused on my form and finishing strong. The last mile has some gradual uphills that have crushed me in the past, but I got through them really well today. I crossed the line and found my mojo!

Miles 8 - 13 Splits - 7:48, 7:34, 7:41, 7:25, 7:22, 7:35, :46 (the last .1 mile)

I knocked almost 3 minutes off of last year's time and was really happy with my day. This is my 4th motive and today I ran it 11 minutes faster than my first one. Jay, Alex and my other Gazelle buds also had really good days which is great.

Stats - 16.89 Miles
Race - 1:41:10/7:43 pace

2 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

As Muddy Waters might have said, "You got your Mojo working!" Nice running, Frank. Now focus on Decker and the Intermural meet between the Gazelles and the CSM. :-)

November 20, 2005 9:04 PM  
Blogger Paco said...

Alex and I should challenge the Carolina boys to Mangia pizza after the race with the lowest elapsed time. Alex and me against Jeff and Andy!

November 21, 2005 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home