Sunday, March 19, 2006

River City 10 Miler

Today was the reincarnation of a race that used to be run in Austin. I woke up to light rain, fog, high humidity, and temps in the 60s. I got to the race site about an hour early and had no problems parking and getting settled. I hit the pottie and then went our for my warmup. I started at the starting line and ran a mile out for a two mile warmup. I ran into Leslie from the Gazelles at about the mile marker and we jogged the returning mile together. There were a few other Gazelles milling around, but I think the bulk of the crew decided not to run today. I did a couple of last minute hydration adjustments (no line at the bathrooms...awesome!) and then got in line. My plan was to start out in the 7:15 range and then pick it up at the end to try and hit my target finish of 1:10. Evil made an announcement about a speed bump 20 feet in front of the start line...that one had me laughing, but I avoided it.

The gun went off and we headed out of the parking lot, over the speedbump, and out onto Northcross before taking a quick left onto Shoal Creek. My breathing was kind of off due to my cold and the humidity, but I was trying to hold my pace and get into a rhythm. My first mile was a little fast, but not too bad. We cruised down Shoal Creek to 46th street and made a left. This was a nice little climb, but really helpd the muscles. We got onto Medical Parkway and got to enjoy some more downhill as we went across 39th street and onto Lamar.

Mile 1 -5 Splits - 7:00, 7:09, 7:15, 7:26, 7:09

I passed the 10k mark about 20 second above my PR which was kind of cool for the middle of a 10k race. I passed the Gazelle water station on the final uphill of the course. I kicked it up a notch going through there, saw all of my friends cheering, and I actually got to grab a cup of water from Jay...definitely a first. We hit Cesar Chavez and I was having flashbacks of the marathon out and back, but this was definitely not the same. We only had to hit the dog pound loop and then head back to first street. My times started to drop off at mile 7 and I was just trying to hold on. The humidity and my cold were getting to me. I was focusing on my arm swing and form and just passing the final few miles. I rounded the corner onto first street and made sure no one was going to sneak up on me. I hit Riverside and made the hairpin turn into the park to the finish. Evil called out my name and the race was over.

Mile 6-10 Splits - 7:12, 7:26, 7:26, 7:28, 7:23 - 1:12:53/7:17 pace

Although I missed my goal time, I ran as well as I could for the day and never gave up. I won my division, the Clydesdales, for the first time ever and finished 100th over all. I dropped my 10 mile PR by 8:43 from the 2004 Pervasive race and now have PR'd all the traditional distances since I turned 40 last March.

I walked across to RunTex got inside, drank my Endurox and got into some dry clothes. The weather changed and it was actually cooler at the finish than the start. I hung out, talked to some friends, picked up my award hat and socks, and got on the bus to the top. It was a really good day!

Stats - 12.03 miles

1 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

That was pretty cool to see you during the race as a spectator. A pretty rare occurence, I'd say. You looked pretty comfortable when you went by us...must've been the hill! Gilbert has brainwashed us that hills are our friend.

March 20, 2006 6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home