Saturday, June 17, 2006

Runnin' in the Rain!

Today we woke to thunder, rain, and some lightning. I had a rough night due to some stomach issues so I almost didn't get up. We met at Porter Middle School to do the 10+ mile loop down to the lake and back up the Barton Hills back to the school. This is a really challenging run, but I really like it because it is a route we rarely run.

Half of us were on one side of the school and half were on the other side. It was just sprinkling when I arrived, but started to pour. We all took shelter across the street under a small awning while G figured out what we were going to do. He got both groups together at the corner of the school and gave the edict of "wimps go home" and everyone else go run. I headed off with Anne and Marcy and we were on a pretty good pace from the start. We seemed to be running in the middle of two storms and it warmed up really quickly. We got water at Barton Springs and Lamar and headed down to the trail. I took a potty stop on the north side of the trail and caught up to my group before the Rock. We drank more water there and I tried my Mango Clif Shot. I didn't enjoy it. We waited for Marcy to return and headed off. We got passed by some slower groups, but caught them as we headed up the Barton Hills. G's rolling water stop was next at the Church on Barton Hills. I drank a few cups of water and Powerade and we headed down to do the little loop. As we headed down the wind picked up, it got dark, and we hit some cool pockets of air. Anne mentioned slowing down a bit at the stop, but as it got darker and the rain started to pour, we kept the pace and even picked it up a bit. I was soaking again and my shoes were drenched by some running rivers across the street. Jay caught up with us on the last hill and passed on Lamar. We were all just running to get out of the mess by then.

I did 6 strides on the track with a few folks and then went for the dry clothes. Since it was Jay's Birthday and we weren't going to go stretch, I suggested we hit Kerbey Lane for some breakfast. Jay, Jan, Brad, and Brian went for some good food and great conversation. My stomach wasn't feeling so good so I only ate about 3/4 of my food. I ended up sleeping most of the day.

Stats - 10.36 Miles/1:30:08/8:41 pace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home