Saturday, June 10, 2006

Cool Moment

Today after our long run, I went into RunTex to pick up some shorts and drink mix. While I was shopping I saw Larry Armendariz, former Gazelle coach and now "Clif Bar Dude", talking to a group of the "One Ton of Fun" folks. They are the people here in Austin who are working with RunTex to lose weight and run the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day. They are trying to collectively lose one ton. Anyway, Larry saw me and knew my story of losing a lot of weight and becoming a runner 5 years ago. He called me over and I was able to share my experience with the group. I told them I lost between 50-60 pounds and now run a 3:30 marathon. It was very moving because 5 years ago I looked like some of the men that were sitting there. I hope they are able to stick with it like I have and truly make a lifestyle change.

After I ran my first my marathon, 16 months after I started running I wrote the below story for my running club in Oregon. I dug this up to send to Larry and it brought back lots of emotions for me. I hope my small posse of readers enjoys it!

********************************************************************

From 9:32 to 9:30 in 16 months…5K to 26.2 that is!

By Frank Varela

Where do I begin? What made me turn from a 250lb. couch potato in June of 2001 to a 210lb. official marathoner in October of 2002? I don’t know either…I am still in shock that I completed my first marathon, the 2002 Portland Marathon, in 4:09:04 (9:30 pace).

I started my road to a marathoner by walking the hills in our West Salem neighborhood for 30-45 minutes at a time. That evolved into some walk/running and eventually into a Portland store on a whim to actually get fitted for some running shoes. I remember my family watching me from the car as I ran across the parking lot trying on shoes. I had no clue what to look for in a shoe, but all I know when I left the store was that the shoes felt good, had really thick soles, and I was now going to start running. I fully expected for the shoes to be in the corner of the closet within the next few weeks, but something happened and I actually stuck with it.

The next few weeks led me to more running than walking and eventually to a point where I could run for about 2.5 miles without stopping. It was at that point that I read about the upcoming Salem Art Fair 5K race. I figured I had about two weeks to get ready to run a full 3.1 miles, still not exactly knowing how to train the right way. I did my best to muddle through based a 5K training program I found on the Runner’s World web site. I arrived on race day way too early. I think they were still setting up the tables. I got my number, went back to my truck and carefully pinned my number on the back of my shirt…only to find out that I was supposed to pin it on the front of my shirt. It was a rookie mistake, but one that was easily corrected. My next mistake came at the start of the race when I went out like gangbusters and died half way through the race. I ended up finishing in 29:33 (9:32 pace); respectable for my first race.

From that point on I had running fever. I ran five more 5K races in August, September, and November of 2001 and decreased my 5K-finish time to 25:59. It was in mid-October that I decided to join the half-marathon training program at Gallagher Fitness Resources. I ran another PR (25:01) at the Toy Hall of Fame 5K and to my surprise was placed into the faster group within the program. I learned so much during that program and made many good friends. The Cascade Half Marathon race day came and it turned out to be perfect race weather for a January day in Oregon. I was a ball of nerves when I arrived at the race site, but settled into a nice pace once the race began. I was able to beat my goal of two hours by finishing in 1:56:53. I ran the El Paso Energy Half Marathon the following week in Houston. The start was with all the marathoners and it was then that I got the itch to train for a marathon.

Given some personal uncertainty with my job situation in Oregon, I put the marathon in the back of my mind with a goal of running the Houston marathon in January of 2003. I ran a few more races in the winter and spring of 2002 and in April started training with the Galloway Fall Marathon Clinic run by Gallagher Fitness Resources. I figured no matter where my family and I ended up, I could always come back and run the Portland Marathon. I trained with the Salem group through mid-August when my family and I moved to Austin, Texas for my new job. I was very sad to be leaving my Salem running group. For a fun diversion from a long training run, I ran in the Hood to Coast Race with the Fallen Angels and Devil Dudes and had an awesome time.

I completed my last six weeks of training for the Portland Marathon in Austin. Adjusting to the heat was difficult at first, but I got used to it fast and really enjoyed it. Austin has some really nice running trails at Town Lake and the Austin Gallowayans were very supportive in helping me finish my training.

Race weekend came and I took an early flight from Austin to Portland the day before the race. I was so nervous and tense when I arrived at the race expo, I thought I was going to explode. I sat through the John “The Penguin” Bingham seminar and he really helped me, and many other first time marathoners, loosen up. He also gave us some good pointers and told us to enjoy the day, race and experience. I learned it’s not the finish time that’s important, it’s finishing and enjoying the experience that is more important. That thought would come back to me during the marathon.

Race day was perfect…cool, overcast and minimal wind. I was nervous, but confident in my ability to finish. I did have a time goal of four hours, but it was more a target than anything. I started the race with Larry Studer and Quintin King who I trained with all summer in Salem. Quintin and I stuck together for the first twenty miles or so and the first sixteen miles flew by. It wasn’t until the hill leading up to the St. John’s Bridge that I started to feel a little tired. I think I may have hit the hill too hard. The next three or four miles went pretty well, but at mile twenty-two, I started to struggle a bit. I realized I wasn’t going to make my time goal of four hours, but told myself it didn’t matter. I knew I was going to finish and with a pretty good time for a first timer. John “The Penguin” Bingham’s words came back to me at this point. I took walk breaks more often to ease my fatigue and used the walk time to enjoy the last four miles. I took in the sights, the crowds, and the contestants, as I got closer to the finish line. When I made the final turn and could see the finish line, I was ecstatic. At most of my previous races, my wife and girls were always there to yell, “Go Daddy,” when I made my last turn on the racecourse. This time they couldn’t be with me, but they were with me all day in my heart and mind. I picked up my pace and know I was smiling from ear to ear when I crossed the finish line. It was hard to hold back the tears, but I did and celebrated with the rest of the runners in the finish area. I was so proud of myself for achieving my goal and for making a huge lifestyle change for the better. I am healthier, stress free, and know I will be a runner forever.

I want to thank my wife and kids for all their love and support; John Gallagher for his friendship, support and for teaching me the right way to train; all of my training buddies Quintin, Rick, Larry, Dennis, Doug, Ann Marie, Carrie, Ann, Mick, Gerry, Linda and all the rest of the Salem Galloway group; and Heather and Maureen for their support during the marathon. I couldn’t have done it without you all!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

That's a nice thing to be able to share your story with the "Ton" folks. I remember your Portland story from when it was new, and it's still a cool thing to read.

June 10, 2006 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home