Tuesday, June 06, 2006

South Padre - 6/2 - 6/6

We left for South Padre Island on Friday and it was my third day in a row of not running. My ankle was feeling pretty good with no activity. We got in around 3PM and hit the pool for awhile. The Sheraton is a pretty nice hotel with a large pool and beach access. I got into the spirit and had a couple of beers while playing with the kids in the pool. We all went to dinner where I had the 5 beer sampler and a big pizza. I only ate half the pie.

On Saturday I got up and ran around 8:30 on the beach. It was already hot and I felt a bit sluggish since it had been a few days. The run was nice and the beach was a softer surface to run on. I ended up doing 5 miles at about 8:45 pace. People were already setting up camp for the day and I ran into the girls and our friends when I got back. I headed down to the beach and pool for the rest of the day. When we got ready for dinner, I noticed I had a pretty good sun burn on the tops of my feet...not cool! We had a nice dinner and I headed out with the guys to watch the Suns/Mavericks game at a local bar and grill. We were in by 10:30.

On Sunday morning I slept in again and hit the beach for another 5 miler at around 9AM. It was really hot that morning. I got back and we hit the beach for a few hours before going in. We all had too much sun and needed to do something else. We grabbed lunch and did some shopping. We went on a late afternoon cruise to see some dolphins and then found a really good Mexican restaurant for dinner. I ate too much and had some Tecates, but it was reall good food!

On Monday AM we hit the Schlitterbahn in South Padre and had a wonderful day. We were there from 10-5 and all had a great time. Dinner was at the hotel and then I rented Ice Age 2 for the kids on the TV. I fell asleep after all that swimming and went to bed early.

On Tuesday AM, reality set in and we had to drive back to Austin. I got up at 6:30 and went for a 7 mile run on the beach. I felt the best today and averaged about 8:30 for the run. I got back, grabbed a shower and we were off for home.

It was a really nice mini-vacation and I am glad I was able to relax and get in a little running. Hopefully the ankle is on its way to recovery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home