Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Silicon Labs Marathon Relay - Happy 4th of July!!

It's the USA's birthday and it is also race day. I got up at 5AM and headed down to AHS for the 2nd annual Silicon Labs Marathon Relay. We has the same basic team as last year with the addition of Alex and subtraction of Patrick. We met at 6AM and carried our supplies to the football field at AHS. We set up camp with two other Gazelle groups that we train with. I dropped off my stuff and set off on some warmup laps with Anne and Shannon. We did about a mile on the track, changed into race gear, ate a Clif Shot, and then did some drills.

I ran the first leg again this year which was a 12k. I lined up with Anne and Shannon. The gun went off and I let them go ahead of me. I wanted to keep my pace sane and finish strong. The course went east out of the drive in front of AHS and onto Cesar Chavez. I passed KK before the turn onto Congress and dusted her big time overall. We headed east to Congress and the headed south and up the incline towards Oltorf. I caught Shannon and Anne before the turn and enjoyed the downhill back toward the Capitol. After the bridge over Town Lake the road starts the incline to the Capitol grounds. This was my slowest mile. The air was really still and it was hot. I drank a gulp at almost every water stop. We had to go around the Capitol and then back downhill to Cesar Chavez. As soon as we turned downhill I picked it up for the finish. I felt really strong going downhill and then making the turn onto 2nd street and back onto Cesar Chavez. That piece was downhill to flat making for a nice finish. I rounded onto the street in front of the HS and heard my team cheering for me. I handed the band to Jan and she was off! I got an awesome towel soaked in ice water and headed back to camp where I drank some Endurox, some Ultima, and many bottles of water. Rich and I did a mile cool down on the track and then some strides. I finished in 55:26/7:23 pace which was a 38 second improvement over last year on a harder course.

The team did really well. Everyone ran really strong and Jay even came near a PR on his 5k leg...and that was at 9:50 in the AM. The team came in 6th place overall in the Open Mixed division (last year we came in 13th) with a time of 3:16:14 (last year's time was 3:21:42) for over a 5 minute improvement.

We hung out for a bit after everyone finished and watched the award ceremony where Rich's team picked up medals for 2nd place in the Odds and Ends category. I headed home to get ready for the Party Barge to complete my 4th of July celebration. Nothing beats being free to do the things you enjoy. Happy Birthday USA!

Splits - 7:07, 6:58, 7:29, 7:15, 7:42, 7:19, 7:00, 6:58 pace for the last part
Stats - 9.14 miles
MHR - 175
AHR - 163

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home