Saturday, August 12, 2006

First 20 Miler of the Season

Today was my first 20 miler of the fall season. The group did one two weeks ago, but I was on my cruise and couldn't join them. We met at RunTex a little after 5 and drove up to about the 4 mile mark of this year's Freescale course. Marcy was back after her hiatus in Michigan and she joined me, Anne, and Alex for the journey to RunTex. The weather was warm, but there was a breeze and it didn't feel so bad. I heard two weeks ago was really miserable. We headed down Jolleyville and across 183 to near the 3M starting line near the Gateway shopping center. We stopped for water and a potty break. I ate my first Carboom there and we were off again. Once we were on Burnet heading south we encountered some major A-Holes driving by us. We got buzzed a couple of times when there was no need to get anywhere near us.

We cruised down Shoal Creek looking for water stop number 2 which was at about the 8.5 mile mark near Anderson Mill road. We headed down Great Northern and started to mix in with the Rogue folks. Our next water stop was on North Loop/53rd street where I ate my 3rd Carboom. We headed up the hills there and then down Duval and through the campus. I started to feel tired during that portion, but the downhills really helped me keep going and my pace didn't really slow at all. Our last water stop was right after the campus on San Jacinto. I drank a while Enervitene at the stop and we headed off for the finish. During that little stop my legs really stiffened up. We dropped Marcy at that point and then the group kind of split up. We were all within a small distance of eachother, but I was picking up the rear behind Anne and Alex. I felt like I was falling apart, but kept focusing on my form and plugging away. I got to 2nd street, headed right, down Guadalupe and on the trail to the Pfluger bridge. I crossed over and headed back to the zero mile marker. When I got there I had only run 19.33 miles so I grabbed a couple of cups of water and headed back out to get my last little bit of mileage to get to 20 miles. I just did a quick out and back. When I finally finished, I did 4 strides and then headed back to my car for some liquids. We were too late for the stretching so I did some light stretching at my car and then headed over to Barton Springs where I soaked with some of the group for about 45 minutes.

Overall, I thought it was a solid run. My time was about the same as last year and well within the window for my marathon pace. The nice stat is that my heart rate is down 4BPM from last year both in AHR and MHR.

Splits -
Miles 1-5 - 9:09, 8:46, 9:02, 8:38, 8:33
Miles 6-10 - 8:12, 8:14, 8:02, 8:19, 8:25
Miles 11 -15 - 8:20, 8:18, 8:31, 8:05, 8:08
Miles - 16-20 - 8:03, 8:15, 7:59, 8:24, 8:14

Stats - 20 miles/2:47:49/8:23 pace
AHR - 137
MHR - 154

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home