Saturday, September 09, 2006

LSR on New Course - 22+ Miles

Today we met at 5:30 for a long, loop run. It was cooler than normal and overcast so my expectations of the run were that it was going to be a good one. We headed up our up and back course, but then cut across on the new Austin marathon course near the mall on Anderson Lane. I was feeling OK early, but the hills wore me out by the course's peak at mile 12. I just felt like I was bonking and early on. Our run support was great and we were getting water every 3-4 miles. Our support got lost and we went about 6 miles without water and that is when I started feeling worse. I felt a little better as we were running downhill, but had to stop for a bio break on Duval and Marcy, Alex P, Kenny, and Alex W kept on going. I ran through the campus and down Congress where I stopped for water near the start of a 5k. I headed across 6th street where I caught Alex at Whole Foods where he was cramping up. We headed down Lamar where I jumped into the 5k at about 20 miles and was actually passing people in the front of the race. I guess I was feeling better at that point. Once I hit the 5k turnaround, I jumped onto the trail heading toward the Rock. I stopped for water there and headed back to Barton Springs where many of the Chicago folks were straggling in. I drank my Endurox and then did 10 strides to get my legs going again. I stretched with a few folks from the Chicago group and then joined them for a soak and really felt a lot better. I was spent, but ran a solid time and got through...yet another mental test. The good thing was my average heart rate stayed really low which was awesome.

Stats - 22.51 miles/3:15:27/8:40 pace
AHR - 134
MHR - 157

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home