Saturday, January 13, 2007

Sloshin' in the Rain

Today we were set to run the new 3M course. The weather folks have forecasting rain and a huge cold front for the weekend, with possible freezing rain for late Sunday and into Monday. The piece they missed was when the cold would arrive. It was warm and humid yesterday and it wasn't supposed to get cold until this afternoon. When I got up and checked the outside thermometer it said 72 degrees. I got ready, put on shorts and a t-shirt and started to head to RunTex. At the last minute I grabbed a long sleeve T-shirt and took off. As I was driving down, the temperature started to fall. It was only a few degrees, but when I got off at the Chavez exit, it dropped to 55 and was down to 50 when I hit RunTex. It started to really rain hard as we loaded up and on the way up to the start, the temps dropped even more to about 44 degrees and raining. The forecasters blew it by a few hours. Luckily I had my long sleeve t-shirt, but I could have used my rain vest.

We took off and it just turned into a survival run. We got wet waiting for everyone to arrive and then it really started to pour as we headed down Jollyville. The water was building up on the roads and we were soaked. Some folks turned it into a faster run just to get back. Brian and I ran the whole way and we were in between a few groups. We had a great time as usual. We had to make a pit stop at Einstein's on Anderson Mill, and were at the back of the pack. We also missed the turn heading down Great Northern and had to double back. The rain just kept coming and coming. There was thunder and lightning, but it didn't seem to be too close to us. When we headed down Burnet, the sidewalk would come and go so we ran through parking lots, grass, dirt, and on the street when we could. I was happy when we hit North Loop and could get off the busy street. We caught a couple of lady Gazelles along that stretch at a water stop and could see Jay's group ahead of us. The rain never seemed to let up so we slogged along. We were soaked to the skin and there wasn't much we could do about it. We caught Jay's group on Duval and then took it home. I felt so bad for Renee who left a warm spot in Austin with only a t-shirt. She was so cold.

Brian and I did really well as far as time goes given the conditions, but I think it was mostly because we wanted to get back to get dry and warm. I always have a lot of respect for my fellow runners, but the Gazelles that ran this morning are the SHIT. We were the only ones out there. I didn't see any Rogues, no Austin Fit, and no Gallowalkers. Here's to the Die Hard Gazelles who made the run this morning...hopefully our sacrifice to the running Gods will bring us all good weather for the marathon in February!

Stats - 15.01 miles/2:07:36/8:30 pace
Last 5 miles - 8:18, 8:41, 8:30, 8:21, 7:43

2 Comments:

Blogger Thon said...

You guys rock. A few of us didn't quite rise to the level of blessed craziness today (we ran at 10 when the weather cleared) but I knew y'all would both run it and enjoy it.

January 13, 2007 7:02 PM  
Blogger Paco said...

If I was just coming off Dallas like you I would have turned off the alarm and rolled over. It was fun!

January 13, 2007 9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home