Saturday, June 23, 2007

Long Run - Mt. Bonnell

Today we met at 5:45 for our first Mt. Bonnell run of the season. The temps were almost 10 degrees cooler than last week, but just as humid. We are in the midst of some nice daily rains and cooler than normal temps. Some folks in Austin are grumbling about it, but I think it is great. I have had to use my sprinklers only once this year so that is $$ in the bank!

As for the run, the plan was to run with Brad since I have been running alone the past few weeks. We were joined off and on by a bigger group which inlcluded some new peeps that run speed with us during the week, (I really need to learn their names), Anne, Rachel, and a few others. We got our first water stop along Lake Austin Blvd. with Gilbert's roving water stop. Our next stop was along Scenic where I ate my first CarbBoom. I don't think we have had enough water the last few long runs and the extra stops really made a difference today. I went out slower than I have been going and my heart rate was in the high 2 zone and low 3 zone which was fine. I really wanted to do the fast finish today and practice it every run going forward. I need to be strong ove the last 10k in Chicago to hit my time and this is the time to practice it. My stomach stared grumbline on the way up Bonnell which wasn't good. Our group decided to go down Balcones instead of to the Stop sign and back down Bonnell. I think it cost a bit of mileage, but I needed some downhill to get my heart rate down and hopefully alleviate the pressure building in my stomach. We headed across 35th to Exposition and took on the nasty camber and rolling hills of that stretch. We were locked in pretty good as a group. At a bit past 9 miles I had to make a pit stop and everyone else kept going. Luckily it was a quickie and I was off again. I was at about 9.4 miles and decided I was going to do a 4 mile fast finish. I felt so good after the stop I just took off. I caught the group at O'Henry and then blew past them for the remainder of the run. I caught Anthony at the Rock and then almost got taken out by a DAMN Dog not on a leash. He clipped my back leg and I almost tripped over myself. I turned and screamed a the owner. I am fine with dogs on the trail, but they need to be on a leash and the owners need to clean up their mess. I got back up to speed and motored through the remaining two miles. I felt one of my speed peeps coming up on me, but he dropped off. I was tired, but finished strong. Anthony came in a few second behind me and then Brad came through right after that. It was a really solid run and I am feeling really good and strong.

Last 4.5 mile splits - 7:55, 7:39, 7:41, 7:55, 7:44

I did 4 strides on the trail and then headed home. My friends at Intel provided us with tickets to the premiere of Ratatoulie, the new Pixar flick. It was really good...one thumb up from me!

Stats - 13.5/1:54:44/8:30 pace
AHR - 139
MHR - 163

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home