Saturday, June 30, 2007

Long Run - Shoal Creek Out and Back

Today we met AHS to start our long run. The rain has finally stopped for now, but all the dams on the Highland lake chain are open and Town Lake is flowing and flooded in some places. It is almost "Houston" like is regards to the humidity with all the rain, but the mornings are a little cooler than normal. The route was changed from Grove to the up and back up Shoal Creek which is part of the Austin marathon course. I started out running with Anne and we were soon joined by Rachel, Anthony, Dan, and Jerry, my Chicago training posse. We started out at a slower pace which was fine with me since it has been a long week. I was feeling really crappy about mile 3 and was thinking this could be a long day. I stuck with it and got through. Mike joined us around Enfield and Exposition since he didn't get the note about starting at AHS. We headed up Exposition and then across to Shoal Creek. The second water stop was at the Jewish Center where some folks turned around. We kept climbing up Shoal Creek and then I lost Anne, Mike, and Rachel. I ran a bit harder to catch up with the guys and stuck with them to the turn around point along Great Northern. Once we turned around I was feeling really good and stuck with Dan and Jerry through most of the return run. We lost Anthony somewhere along there. I finally learned everyone's names today which was good. Jerry took off somewhere along Exposition and Dan and I stayed together for the remainder of the run. I wanted to do a bit a fast finish so I picked it up a little over the last 3 miles. It didn't feel like I was accomplishing anything, but I did pick it up. Mile 14 was 8:18, 15 was 7:57, and 16 was 7:34. I did a 50 on 50 loop around the AHS track for my strides and called it a day.

Overall I had a great run. It was my fastest running pace of the season and I felt great afterward. A lot of folks were suffering, but I felt strong which is a good sign. I joined the group for stretching and called it a day.

Nutrition - I ate a pop tart when I woke up and ate a CarbBoom as close to mile 4, 8, and 12 as I could. My stomach was fine through most of the run. On Friday I had a turkey club for lunch and a turkey sandwich for dinner. I didn't eat anything with a lot of fiber during the day.

Stats - 16.12 Miles/2:16:36/8:28 pace
AHR - 139
MHR - 159

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home