Saturday, August 11, 2007

Second 20 Miler

Today was our second 20 miler of the fall season. This would be our first point to point effort with minimal hills until the end. The course started at Spicewood and 183 and was mostly the old Freescale course before they ruined it with the new course. The variation was to go right off of Shoal Creek across 35th street and then finish on the scenic loop starting at Pecos to where we parked off of Robert E. Lee on the SE side of Zilker Park. The weather was back to normal Austin August weather with temps in the 70s at the start and humid. It actually felt better than last week, but I think it could have been the downhill to flat course we ran.

I rode up with Ava, Larry, Steve and a couple of other ladies. Ava is nursing an injury, but was nice enough to drive us up to the top. G gave us our instructions and we were off. During the week I made the decision to switch to Accel Gel and was happy my shipment arrived on Friday. This gel is not as thick as the CarbBoom I have been eating and I was able to eat it every 4 miles without water. I ran with some different people today as I ran along. I also spent a lot of time by myself. I just can't seem to find a posse with this season. I felt really strong all day and my first mile 9:07 was the slowest mile of the day. I cruised down Jolleyville and through the Arboretum area. I crossed over MoPac and got passed by Joseph K and a couple of other folks. As usual I got buzzed by some AHole on Burnet. I caught up with a bunch of folks at the water stop on Longhorn and started running with Gary and Mike at that point. We were together until the scenic section where I pulled away a bit. Near the Rock I started running with another guy I just met, but since I am terrible with names can't remember who it was. We finished together into Zilker.

I was one of the first people back outside of the really fast folks and felt really good. I ran consistent miles all morning long and didn't have any issues along the way. My heart rate stayed in the high 130 range and only went above my threshold when we went through the scenic section. Gilbert said this run would be a confidence builder for everyone and it definitely was for me.

I did some strides at the park and then did some stretching on my own. I hit the spillway on Barton Springs with Brian and Alex and called it a day. I must say I won't be hitting the spillway any time soon. There were too many scary people and dogs there that had no regard for anyone else. One clown just sat there and laughed as his bully rotweiler attacked every dog in the area.

Stats - 20.01 miles/2:50:09/8:30 pace
AHR - 138
MHR - 161

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home