Sunday, January 16, 2005

RunTex 30K

Today was another day in Buda. This is my least favorite race of the Distance Challenge. This is my third year running it and there is always some type of head wind. This year we had a huge head wind from the North which meant that it was in our face for most of the race. It was in the low 30s at the start with a huge head wind. I warmed up with the Gazelles once I got my chip situation figured out. I got to the course without my personal chip and had to get one from RunFar. After the warmup, I ran back to my car and put on my race clothes. I wore two layers on top with shorts and gloves. For my food I ate a peanut butter and Jelly sandwich at 6AM and a clif bar on the way to the course. I drank 12 oz of accelerade and some gatorade on the way.

I started out with Kelly and we wanted to go out a little bit slower than 8:00 pace. The first few miles were uneventful. It was cold and windy since we were going straight into the wind. I took water at mile two and kept a good pace.

Mile 1 - 8:07
Mile 2 - 8:06
Mile 3 - 8:05
Mile 4 - 8:14

After mile 4 we made the turn into the trailer area. This part is a slow downhill where you head east, then north, and west up a pretty good little hill. Marci caught up with this in this area and her and Kelly took off. I was running with Jeff Burras and didn't make a move with them. I wish I would have since Kelly beat me by two minutes. After the little hill we headed west on a gradual incline and back onto the main road. I made the turn there and straight into a stronger wind. I tried to keep a steady pace as we made the right turn and quick left into the neighborhood section where the course bottoms out. I ate some Enervitine at Mile 5 and took water and powerade at every water stop.

Mile 5 - 8:14
Mile 6 - 7:54
Mile 7 - 8:21
Mile 8 - 8:03
Mile 9 - 7:53
Mile 10 - 7:50

The neighborhood section was pretty easy until you hit the bottom of the course at mile 12 and have to climb back out. I got to within 15 seconds of Kelly and Marci and for some reason couldn't catch them. Getting out of the neighborhood is a steady climb. I grabbed a gum ball for the sugar and almost choked on it. I took the second half of my enervitine at mile 10.

Mile 11 - 8:02
Mile 12 - 8:09
Mile 13 - 8:17

At mile 14 it was time to pick up the pace. The wind was finally at my back and I wanted to take advantage of it. The next 4 miles are kind of rolling and I was able to keep the pace below my goal pace of 8:00. I felt really strong during these miles. Mile 17 is a really good climb and my pace suffered this mile. When I go to mile 18 my energy was zapped, but I kept plugging away. I saw Gilbert outside the stadium with about .6 miles to go and he ran with me for a bit and got me into a good rhythm. I was able to finish my last 1.6 miles under goal pace.

Mile 14 - 7:38
Mile 15 - 7:53
Mile 16 - 7:41
Mile 17 - 8:17
Mile 18 - 7:58
Mile 18.6 - 4:46 (7:57 pace)

Total time - 2:29:28
Pace - 8:02

I finished second in the under 39 Rhino division for the second year in a row and was 28 seconds slower than my goal pace. Overall a good day for a race I don't really enjoy. I am glad the marathon is only a month away. I feel strong and believe I can hold an 8:00 pace for the entire marathon which would be great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home