Saturday, August 20, 2005

14 Miler to "Mountain Bonnell"

After my second night of minimal sleep (3.5 hours), I got up at 5 to meet the group for a 14 mile out and back to Mt. Bonnell. Carla and I went to see Chicago and Earth, Wind and Fire in San Antonio last night. It was a great show, but I didn't fall asleep until 1:30AM. I only got about 5 hours of sleep on Thursday night after taking the late flight out of San Jose. I wanted to sleep in, but I needed to get up and do the run.

As for the run, I struggled early on. My stomach had a fit at mile 3 and I had to peel off. I don't understand what the problem is. I think it could be the Accelerade, so this week I will go with straight Gatorade for the pre-run drink and eat a Carboom prior to the start for more effect. I started out with Jan, but lost her when I had to stop. When I got back on the road, I think I was at the very back of the pack. I got water at Red Bud and ate a Carboom and took off again. I was probably running too fast during this part trying to catch up.

Mile 1 - 7 splits - 9:49, 8:29, 8:53, 8:00, 8:02, 8:30, 8:37

I got up with the group going up the hill at Mt. Bonnell. I ate another Carboom at the top of Mt. Bonnell and drank some Gatorade. After the turnaround, I ran back with Sean and a few other folks. I was starting to really hurt going down Exposition. I was just plain pooped. I wanted to catch Thon on the backside, but didn't have the energy. Sean broke away and I got passed by Carrie during the last two miles. Her quote as she blew by was "I want to get this shit overwith!" I picked it up a little for miles 10-12, but I couldn't hold it the last two. I did achieve my goal of staying under 8:40 pace for my long runs.

I joined the group for stretching and headed home. Mistakes from today...lack of sleep!

Mile 8 - 14 splits - 8:37, 8:57, 8:21, 8:04, 7:49, 8:30, 8:22

Stats - 14.01 Miles/1:59:12/8:31 Pace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home