Saturday, August 13, 2005

Second 20 Miler for Chicago

Today was a planned 20 miler kind of up part of the Freescale course and back. We ran from AHS up Exposition, across 35th street, up Shoal Creek to 183 and back. It was a lot harder course than we did for our first twenty miler. I have been fighting some type of stomach flu since Thursday AM. I think I got some bad food at Guerro's on Weds night. Anyway, I had issues all day Thursday and felt a little weak on Friday. I drank water all day and ate a very bland diet. Bagel and peanut butter for breakfast, white rice for lunch, and pasta with sauce on Friday night.

Anne and I were joined by Marci who we haven't seen since the end of the school year. She stuck with us for about the first 7 miles and then turned around. The first part of the run was hard due to the rolling hills of Exposition. I wasn't feel good at all. My stomach was holding together, but I felt dehydrated. The first mile was slow as usual as the joints get greased. We made it through the rolling hills and G was waiting at about mile 4 with water and Gatorade. I took a dose of Enervitene and some fluids.

Mile 1 -4 Splits - 9:22, 8:51, 8:36; 8:26

We got onto Shoal Creek and headed up through the Freescale course up to Shoal Creek and 183. I was feeling worse and my stomach started grumbling. I had to pull off at Mile 7 and Anne went ahead. I caught up with her at the mile 8 water stop (more Enervitene) and we headed off to the top of the course. The faster guys passed us coming back down and some of the other groups were kind of bunched up. I was feeling a lot better now.

Mile 5-10 Splits - 8:38, 8:30, 8:31, 8:40, 8:32, 8:24

We started the return part of the course and picked up the pace. I don't think we intended to, but it was easier going back down than coming up. The next miles flew by. I took on liquids and another Enervitene at mile 12.

Mile 11-15 Splits - 8:16, 8:12, 8:12, 8:10, 8:25

I was starting to feel tired now and was really thirsty. We took on more liquids and I drank the last of my Enervitene at mile 16. Everyone was really struggling. We passed some folks that usually blow us away and G had to pick up some people. I stopped at a gas station on Windsor and drank some water and G stopped near O'Henry for the last splash of water since he knew we were all having a rough day. He told us to pick it up at mile 16, but my body wasn't responding. I picked it up a little over the last 2-3 miles, but there wasn't a whole left in the tank. I am hoping it was my stomach sickness and hope this is my one crappy long run for this training session. I ended up 10 second per mile slower than the first run, but didn't feel as strong as I did for that run.

Mile 16 - Mile 19.72 Splits - 8:38, 8:24, 8:32, 8:08, 7:40 (pace for the last .72 miles)

I did 5 strides on the AHS track and then headed over to Deep Eddy for a quick stretch session and a long soak. A lot of Gazelles showed up and it was nice to visit with them as we enjoyed the cool water. I had a headache all day and kept drinking a lot of water and Gatorade. We took the kids bowling at the UT Underground and had Mangia for dinner...a little reward for a rough day on the roads.

Stats - 19.72 Miles/2:46:46/8:27 Pace

1 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

8:27 pace is perfectly okay considering your goal pace for Chicago, so on a really tough weather day, you did great! I had forgotten how much the cold soak helps after the long run, too.

August 14, 2005 5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home