Sunday, April 02, 2006

Humid and Warm Capitol 10K


So today was the annual Capitol 10k road race in Austin. This is actually the biggest event of the year with close to 15k participants. I met the group on a nasty humid morning at 7:45. We did our usual two mile warmup and drills. I hit the potty before drills and then headed over to the start with Patrick. We hit a bush real quick and got in the blue corral with Marci, Alex, Diana and some other Gazelles.

The race went off a couple of minutes late and we were off. I was still shooting for a PR, but knew that 42:xx was totally out of the realm of possibilities. We shot up Congress and over to San Jacinto. I saw Carla and the girls at the corner of corner of Cesar Chavez and Congress which was nice since they usually just come out for the marathon. I ran the first mile in 6:59 which was exactly what I wanted to do. We headed across 15th street and the rolling hills. I grabbed some water along there, but was already feeling tired. I did miles 2 and 3 in 14:42 (7:21 average). We made the turn down the MoPac frontage road where I should have been able to pick up some speed during the down hill, but I didn't. I covered mile 4 in 7:18 and I was feeling like total crap when we hit RunTex Lake Austin. I thought about just stopping and waiting for my sister in law, Kalee, to come by so I could run her in, but pressed on. I needed to be strong mentally even if my body was slowing. We headed across Cesar Chavez and the gradual uphill. I did mile 5 in 7:28...even slower. I saw Carla and the girls again right before the bridge and was hoping that would help with my kick for the last mile. I tried to do a last mile kick, but didn't have it in me. I did the last 1.2 miles in 8:59 (7:29 pace).

I finished and the doubled back to pick up Kalee. She was running her 2nd 10k and I wanted to run with her to the bridge. Her family and my family were waiting at the corner to cheer her on. I wandered back into the main finish area with the girls and we saw some of my friends as they were heading out. I visited a bit, got the girls some juice, and then we headed out. It was a brutal day, but still a fun race.

I have to give a special shout to Bernard, Gilbert's cousin, who was leading by a lot with about a quarter mile to go when the the heat got him. He crumpled to the ground and didn't finish. He is doing well today so that is good, but I know he was disappointed in not winning for the second year in a row.

10k - 45:24/7:19 pace (PR is 44:34 from last year's race; Overall Finish 412/5136)
Overall Finish - 329/5100
Age Group Finish - 38/415

Stats - 9.7 miles (warmup, race and cool down)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home