Saturday, July 15, 2006

Runtex to 2222...Long Run!

Today we met at 5:45AM for a long run up and over Mt. Bonnell to 2222. I took off with my LSR pals Anne, Alex, and Shannon. It was warm as usual, but this weekend we didn't get any cloud cover like we have had the last few weeks. We stopped for water near the Hula Hut where I ate my first Carboom and then I took a pit stop at the lake bathroom. The group didn't wait for us, but Anne and I caught them at the cleaner's. We got more water there and headed up Mt. Bonnell. We stopped at the top where I felt like I just wanted to go home. My quads were screaming. We went down the other side, through the brutal curvy part and turned around at 2222. We saw Jan and Brad on the way back. It turns out that my little pack and the two of them were the only ones that went all the way to 2222. The climb back to the top was brutal, but I made it got more water at the top. I also ate another Carboom. We doubled back and went down Balcones to avoid the big drop going down Bonnell. We made another stop at the cleaners and headed down Exposition. We made another stop at O'Henry where I ate my last Carboom and we were off again. We kind of split up after that with Anne taking the lead, Alex on her heels, and Shannon and I just trying to finish strong. There wasn't anything left in the tank for a really fast finish, but the last 4 miles were in the 8:12-8:14 range which wasn't bad since our overall pace was 8:44.

I did 6 strides and then headed off to get my Endurox, Gatorade, and stuff for stretching. Alex and I jumped in for most of the stretching and then headed over to Deep Eddy for a 30 minute soak with Jan and Brad. We jumped in the deep end where the water was colder. I also swam around a bit which seemed to loosen up the muscles even more.

It was a tough day, but the kind of day that gives you confidence on marathon day. If you can survive 17 miles on this course and in this weather, Chicago in late October will be a piece of cake!

Stats - 17 miles/2:28:40/8:44 pace
AHR - 141
MHR - 166
I checked my HR stats from this run exactly a year ago and the numbers were identical.



The route was supposed to be 18 miles, but my Garmin came in at 17 with a little extra running at Auditorium shores. I looked up last year's run and it was 16.75 miles.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paco said...

I felt like I was working a lot harder and know the day was more brutal than when I ran it last year.

July 17, 2006 1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home