Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Tempo Race

Today we met for this month's tempo race. As usual the Gazelle herd was pretty thin. G wasn't happy about it and said something about not telling us what the workout is until the morning of the workout. I think that would get a few more folks out of bed. The "race" was the usual 2 mile out and back to the Mopac bridge. G wanted us to go at least 2 seconds faster than the June race...and at least a 30 second neagative split. On paper that sounds easy, but while we should be in better shape since the last time, the weather is definitely worse.

We did a 15 minute warmup which took us about 1.5 miles and then did drills on the grass. G got us together to do the "high knee" part quicker and shorter than we normally do it. We lined up at the zero mile marker and were off. I got past some of the slower folks and settled into a good pace. I was pretty much by myself until I got passed at the railroad tracks where I was passed by a guy I don't know. I chased him the rest of the way, but didn't get close. I ran the first mile in 7:05, the second in 7:16 for a 14:21 first half. The second mile crushed me and I felt like just turning around. Once we made the turnaround, I gathered myself and tried to pick it up. I brought the 3rd mile back to 7:05 and did the last mile in 6:42 for a second half split of 13:47 which was a 34 second negative split...perfect! I was 16 seconds off of my tempo race PR and 33 seconds faster than when we did this in June.

I did 6 strides and then G put us through the "higher/open" drills. I am finally getting it after two years. I headed to the gym for my 100 abs and stretching. I am beat now and looking forward to an easy 7 miles tomorrow. That sounds weird doesn't it.

Stats - 6 miles (for Carrie and Thon; includes warmup, drills, tempo race)
AHR - 162 for tempo race
MHR - 173 for tempo race

2 Comments:

Blogger TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

AWESOME tempo run! I saw you from a faraway distance the entire time. Great job Frank! Thanks, also, for the mileage :-)

July 16, 2006 7:50 AM  
Blogger Paco said...

Thanks...I am finally starting to feel good after messing up my leg at the Congress Avenue Mile.

July 17, 2006 1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home