Saturday, May 19, 2007

VO2 Max Test

Today I skipped my usual Saturday long run to meet with Amanda McIntosh from Peak Fitness to do a VO2 Max test. She is a national champion Ultra runner and it was nice to get her perspective on things. The test was pretty quick, but not easy. She strapped on a heart rate monitor and then put a mask on me which had a decent sized hole where I could suck in air. It looked like one of the masks the fighter pilots wear. After a brief warmup she ramped up the speed to 8MPH and it was on. After 5 minutes, she started raising the incline on the treadmill 1% every 30 seconds. I went anaerobic after about 6 minutes when my heart rate hit 149. I hit my V02 max during my last segment at 9:30 and at 9% incline. The test and the advice Amanda gave me were very good. Overall I got an excellent rating for my cardio fitness with VO2 Max at 55%. She told me I need to watch my junk miles which means I need to do those runs in at least zone 3 of my training zone. Anything under that isn't doing anything for my cardio system. So it would be kind of like empty calories.

I was pretty beat afte the test, but wanted to get some miles in. I headed down to the lake and did a quick run before heading over to watch the Congress Avenue Mile. Overall it was good workout day.

Stats - 5.86 miles including the VO2 Test
4.86 miles on the trail/40:28/8:19 pace
AHR - 144
MHR - 153

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home