Saturday, July 14, 2007

18 Miler

Today was our longest run of the season. Humid as hell again! I haven't been sleeping well with my family out of town and tonight was the worst. I don't think I fell asleep until after 1AM and 4 hours of sleep before an 18 miler isn't good. I started out with Anne and we stuck together for most of the morning. The route was an out and back via scenic/Mt. Bonnell to 2222 and back. I like the route to Mt. Bonnell, but am not crazy about going down the back side. The run is nice, but I think it is unsafe since the cars tend pretend they are on a race track and go too fast. There is also no shoulder for runners. Anne and I decided to modify our route so we ran up Bonnell and down to the stop sign on Balcones and then back. That would be perfect mileage for her, but I needed to add another 3 or so miles on the trail. We ran together until I had to make a pit stop on the north side of the trail past AHS. At that point I needed another 4 miles so I headed east on the trail to get to 18. I wanted to pick it up over the last few miles, but I had nothing left and was in "just finish" mode. I got to the I-35 bridge and saw Brian coming across. I ran up the embankment and met him. We headed west on the trail and I crossed over at the Pfluger bridge and back to RunTex. The mileage worked out perfect. I hit 18 miles along on the trail leading to Auditorium shores. I got some water and did some strides on the trail. I was too tired to walk back over for drills and stretching so I stretched a bit by the car.

I changed into some dry clothes and then decided to walk a bit on the trail. Brian was just finishing his 7 mile loop and we decided to head for some breakfast at Las Manitas...very good choice. The walk over there helped keep the blood flowing to my sore legs.

My goal this season is to run all of my long runs at 8:40 or less pace which is a minute slower than my goal pace for Chicago. Today didn't happen, but I was happy to finish and I was only 9 seconds off that goal.

Stats - 18.25 miles/2:41:03/8:49 pace
AHR - 140
MHR - 162

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home