Saturday, July 30, 2005

First 20 Miler in Prep for Chicago

Today was our first 20 miler of the fall season. I woke up at 4:20, ate a Clif bar, and drank 12oz. of Accelerade. We ran the first 20 miles of the Freescale course which for me has many memories...not all good. The last time I ran this course was this past February and it turned out to be a miserable day...crappy weather which resulted in a crappy day. I did crack through my mental block that day and my races ever since have all been PRs so that is one good thing that did come out of that day.

As for today, I met the gang at RunTex at 5:15 and we drove up in Anne's truck to the Gateway shopping area. G gave us our instructions to run the first 15 miles as we feel and then run the last 5 miles hard. We started out slow and then ran as the course dictated. I love the top part of this course...all down hill except for the first mile. We got to the industrial area where G was waiting with some water. I drank a bit and then took a pee. We circumvented the industrial area and then headed under 183 and down Shoal Creek. G was there again so I drank my first dose of Enervitene (used it every 4 miles) and took another cup.

Mile 1 - 8:57, Mile 2 - 8:21, Mile 3 - 8:36, Mile 4 - 8:28, Mile 5 - 8:33

Jan and a guy I didn't know were up ahead of Patrick, Anne and I, and was running really strong. We got onto the start of the road that runs parallel to MoPac and did another hydration adjustment. One of the other folks in the group made a comment about peeing in the bushes...I guess he isn't a real runner. We made it through the top of the course pretty well and got onto 45th street where they are doing a bunch of construction. We all got stuck in some mud that looked like dirt. It sucked having to run with that extra weight on our shoes. I switched sides of the road to avoid the construction. I was beginning to feel a little fatigued, but it soon went away once I got back in my rhythm.

Mile 6 - 8:20, Mile 7 - 8:28, Mile 8 - 8:12, Mile 9 - 7:29, Mile 10 8:47

We ran down Duval and through the campus. G and Henry were waiting for us just across from campus on Trinity around mile 12 I guess. I drank some water and gatorade and we were off again. The nasty little hill right past the marathon halfway point seemed really small today. We hit that pretty easy and then climbed the next little hill, around the capitol and down Congress. We made the turn onto the dreaded section of 6th street to the out and back. This part has always been my graveyard and I wasn't going to let it get to me this time.

Mile 11 - 8:20, Mile 12 - 8:02, Mile 13 - 8:11, Mile 14 - 8:24, Mile 15 - 8:33

We hit mile 15 and I tried to pick it up a bit. We got to the Chevron on Lake Austin for our last water and I drank my last bit of Enervitene. My stomach was grumbling big time...not a good thing. I decided I needed to stop at the Randalls to fix my stomach problem. I ate a few Kashi granola bars on Friday and that may have caused my stomach issues...definitely need to remember that next time. I was good to go after my stop and got into a really good rhythm. I ran by my crew on the way to Memphis to the turnaround. I ran back to the Rock and continued on the road past AHS and onto the trail. I climbed the stairs at the Pfluger bridge and then ran toward the zero mile marker. I finished strong and didn't feel too bad. I was able to keep my heart rate in the low 140s...very good news.

Mile 16 - 7:53, Mile 17 - 7:58, Mile 18 - 8:06, Mile 19 - 8:07, Mile 20 - 7:51

I drank a bunch of water and headed over to do my strides. I did 4 strides and then headed over to RunTex to get my Endurox and stretch. I did the full routine and then headed home.


Stats - 20.16 Miles/2:47:01/8:17 Pace
AHR - 141
MHR - 158

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home