Saturday, January 21, 2006

Last Really Long Run Before Freescale

Today was our last over 20 mile run before Freescale. We are 4 weeks out so this is it...thank God! I met the group at RunTex for the drive to Spicewood and 183. The weather was actually pretty good except for a wind that started out of the north and then kind of swung around to the west and south as we progressed. I think our goal was to leave at 6:00AM, but we ended up rolling at almost 6:15. We did the last 22 miles for the Freescale course except we ran on the trail for the out and back instead of risking getting hit by a car.

I ran with Gretchen for the first few miles and then stopped for a potty break. When I emerged from the bushes, I jumped in with Patrick, Diana, Kelly, and Volel. When they caught me the conversation had already degraded to the word of the day being "ass." I was able to contribute to the conversation. We headed across Braker where some A-hole truck driver felt that he had to drive in the right lane and blast his horn as he went by us instead of using one of the other two open lanes. We had a few near misses during this run and I began to wonder what the hell was wrong with these rude drivers. We stopped at Henry's water station at about mile 5.5 where I ate a carboom and drank some powerade.

Mile 1 -5 Splits - 9:09, 8:52, 8:53, 8:33, 9:00

We headed down Burnet and all decided to hit the Jack in the Box for the restrooms. We headed out of there and ran into Jay's group through the industrial park. We pulled away and headed down Shoal Creek. We stopped at Rudy's water stop around mile 10 and I ate another carboom. The discussion took a turn for the worse...can't be mentioned here. We made the left on Hancock and then the left onto North Loop to make the nasty stretch across to Duval. I knwo this is going to be a struggle point in a few weeks due to the slight climb through that area. The road also has a huge camber so I need to be sure and run in the middle of the road. We stopped at Duval and 53rd for another Henry stop and caught up with Volel. He ran ahead of us through the Shoal Creek area. I ate another carboom, drank some powerade and we were off again. We headed down Duval which was a nice downhill with the exception of one area where you have to climb a bit. I was beginning to feel tired through this section. My travel and lack of sleep was catching up with me. I focused on my form more and continued on. I was thinking of how I could cut some mileage off, but wanted to stay mentally tough and complete the 22 miles.

Mile 6-15 Splits - 8:51, 8:54, 8:33, 8:48, 9:05, 8:59, 8:52, 9:17, 8:56, 8:34
We went through the campus up the nasty hill right before the capital and then around the capital and onto Congress. We were bunched up again and stayed on Congress until we made a right on 2nd street. We cut down San Antonio and onto the trail. Patrick and Kelly veered off at the Pfluger bridge and Volel and I kept on to the MoPac bridge. Diana caught up with us there and the 3 of us took the south side of the trail back to Auditorium shores. Volel took off and I tried to keep up with him. I picked it up a bit for the last 4 miles chasing down Volel. I caught up with him right at the finish.
Mile 16 - 22 Splits - 8:54, 8:43, 8:37, 8:07, 8:19, 8:21, 8:04
Most of the folks had finished and were already stretching. I did 3 strides and then walked back with Jay and Amy to RunTex. I wasn't feeling so good...my stomach was hurting a bit so I packed it in and went home to stretch. I ended up sleeping all day long. We went to dinner at Pappasito's and then I came home and fell asleep on the couch at 7:30. It was a good final long run.
Stats - 22.2 Miles/3:13:32/8:43 pace

1 Comments:

Blogger Jay said...

I'm envious about your day-long nap after the long run. But, I got to sleep in on Sunday, so it all worked out fine.

January 22, 2006 8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home