Sunday, November 12, 2006

2006 Motive Half Marathon

Today was the annual Motive Half Marathon. This is one of my favorite races here in Austin. I love the distance and the course is very challenging. I wish my body was in better shape so I could have actually raced the race, but I really spent myself in Chicago and my back is still hurting. Driving up to the course I still wasn't sure I was going to do the run. I got there about 6:15 and headed over to the start area. I ran into Alex and Jay and then headed over to the Gazelle tent where we joined all the newbies for a two mile warmup. We headed out and ran the last mile of the course which is a sneaky uphill. My back felt pretty good after we warmed up so I decided to run. I hit the potty on the way back and headed to my car to change and get rid of my warm clothes. It was pretty cold this morning so I went with t-shirt with the sleeves off type shirt and gloves. I hung out near the start and found Brian and Amy. I guess Marcy decided not to run after all.

It seemed like we waited a long time after the national anthem. I guess we went off about 10 minutes late. We were pretty far back so it was weird to have to pass a bunch of folks at the start and our first mile was really slow. Amy left Brian and me after the first mile and we just ran how we felt and enjoyed the race. The run down Jollyville was nice and downhill. We headed into the neighborhood and the downhill leading to the start of the climb. I really focused on my form the whole way which really helped my back.

Mile 1-5 splits - 8:57, 8:25, 8:30, 8:42, 8:41

We headed up the hills which seem to shrink more each year. I remember the first year I ran Motive and that mountain was just this brutal thing. Now that I am a Gazelle, even an injured Gazelle, I was passing people left and right all through the hills. It was an awesome feeling. I love hills! I hate Wilke and Meriden, but I love hills. Anyway we got through that part and at about mile 8 we got back onto the flat and were heading back toward the Motive campus.

Mile 6-10 splits - 8:41, 8:37, 8:39, 8:21, 8:21

I checked my watch at mile 10 and decided I wanted to break 1:50 which meant I had to pick it up a bit. The last section wasn't too bad, but there were a couple of gradual uphill sections which when I run this race hard are a real bear. Today the last two miles were the fastest of the day. I got through mile 11 and decided to kick it in just to see what I had. After Wednesday's disaster run I wanted a little something for my confidence and got it with those miles. I missed 1:50 by 3 seconds, but had a really fun run running with Brian almost the whole way and just enjoying the beautiful morning and race.

Mile 11-13.1 - 8:08, 7:40, 7:22, :53 (6:24 pace for the last .1)

I crossed the line and grabbed some gatorade. I waited for Brian to come in and then I went and changed. I hung out at the Gazelle tent and was able to chat with some of my running buds. Special props to Jay who ran a half marathon PR on a tough course. He has finally gotten rid of his Galloway blood and is having an awesome season.

So for the back update...it was stiff this afternoon, but doesn't hurt nearly as bad as it did on Wednesday after my 7 miles on the trail. I will take it day by day and probably crosstrain or rest even more this week. I don't plan on returning full time to the group until this is cleared up. I may hit a workout here and there, but want to remain flexible.

Stats - 1:50:03/(8:24 pace)
NOTE: I think I ran a negative split, but will have to calculate and update the post)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home