Sunday, December 03, 2006

2006 Decker Challenge (20k)

Today was the 2006 version of the Decker Challenge. This race and 3M are my two favorites here in Austin so I was very much looking to run the race today. I am still getting back into things so my expectations weren't so great. A PR would be nice, but I planned on just running how I felt...what a concept.

I got to the race site early and sat in the car for awhile. I headed off for some load balancing and then met the group in the fairgrounds annex building. I headed off with Brian, Brad, Jan and Lisa for our warm up run where we did about 2 miles. I got back and did some additional load balancing and headed to the car to strip down to shorts and two layers on top...long sleeves and singlet on top.

I lined up with about 10 minutes to go and joined a pretty good size group of Gazelles. I planned on trying to stay with Brad for the race. There was a group sing of the National Anthem and the gun went off. We headed out onto the new course, which was awesome by the way, and out the south end of the complex. We headed north onto Decker lane where the damn wind hit us head on. Ever since Chicago, the wind really pisses me off and screws with me mentally. I would rather run up a huge hill than run into the wind. The first few miles were pretty slow due to the wind and I couldn't get in a good rhythm for some reason. I felt a little cloddy, but fought through it.

Mile 1 -5 Splits - 7:31, 7:54, 7:56, 7:54, 7:52

Once we made the turn heading east I felt a lot better and worked on picking up the pace. I picked it up and got into a good rhythm for miles 6-11 which included some nice climbs and the dirt road part. Once we headed west the wind was at our faces again so mile 12 was a bit slower. Once I climbed into the complex and saw the mile 12 sign, I picked it up again so I could pick off some folks. I passed Pete and Paul on the way in and Paul yelled at me to "pass that guy" just like Gilbert does. It woke the guy up and we raced to the line. I think we tied, but it was fun to drag race the last few yards. I ended up about 1:50 off my PR, but was happy with the race. I really enjoyed the run and had some good splits for the back half of the race. I ended up with a negative split which was nice.

Mile 6 - Finish Splits - 7:35, 7:21, 7:21, 7:32, 7:42, 7:37, 7:54, 3:13 (7:16 pace)

Stats - 20K/1:35:19/7:40 pace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home