Saturday, September 08, 2007

Last 22 Miler for Chicago

Today was our last really long run for Chicago. I met Larry, Steve, and Vasil at 5:15 for the run which was up Exposition/Shoal Creek to almost 183 and back via Scenic. It was really warm and sticky this morning which really sucked. We took off in the dark and I stuck with them up until about mile 9. Gilbert and Sean did a great job with the water. We had it every 2-3 miles in most cases. I ate my Accel Gels every 4-5 miles and ended up eating 4 for the run. They sit really well in my stomach. At the water stop at mile 9 Larry wasn't feeling so hot so he backed off the pace and Steve and Vasil did as well. I was feeling good at that time so I ran how I felt and was pretty much on my own the rest of the way. I saw a lot of people as I was coming back down but no one caught up with me on the way back. My fastest miles were miles 7-15 where I really felt good. My back started to tighten up around mile 16 and I started to slow a bit. I was in the 8:50-9:00 range for the last 5 miles and just wanted to finish. I ended up with the same average pace as two weeks ago and ran 7 seconds slower which I will take given the nasty conditions. My AHR was a couple of beats higher than last time, but I will chalk that up to the heat. I can't wait to run in 40-50 degree weather!

Once I got back I downed my Endurox and waited for the guys to get back. Larry, Steve and I enjoyed a couple of post run beers and then headed over to Barton Springs for a soak. The beers were awesome!

Stats - 22 miles/3:14:06/8:49 pace
AHR - 139
MHR - 155

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Beer at 9 AM after a long? Now that is what I call "simulating race conditions!!" Congrats on the great run!!

September 13, 2007 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home