Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Long Run in SF - Golden Gate Bridge


This morning I met one of my Sun buddies and one of the folks we work with at Intel for an early morning run. The goal was to run from our downtown hotel to the Golden Gate Bridge and back. We were thinking about a 12 mile run which is a good distance for mid-week. We started at 5:15AM and the weather was perfect in the mid 50s. I just had a t-shirt on and felt great. We cut down Market Street to the Embarcadero, into Fisherman's Wharf, through the Presidio, and into the national park where the Golden Gate Bridge is located. I was surprised by how flat the route was since we only hit a small hill in the Presidio and had a little climb on some stairs as we got up to the bridge. It was dark and foggy so I wasn't able to see too much on the way to the bridge. Once we got up onto the bridge it was very foggy and there was actually a mist that was landing on us. We got half way across the bridge and were already at 8 miles. We decided to turn around at that point and head back. The sun was starting to rise and the fog was burning off. We took a little bit different route back through the National Park. I could now see all the places we passed in the dark which were very nice. The Presidio and its homes were beautiful. I also saw Alcatraz Island as the fog was lifting off it. It is hard to imagine it being an actual prison. Fisherman's Wharf was coming to life and there were a bunch of runners on the Embarcadero. I wasn't feeling so good about 12 miles into the run, but got through it and it was a good training lesson. We got back into downtown and the hustle and bustle of everyone trying to get somewhere. We got within a few blocks of the hotel and walked the rest of the way. It was my longest run of the year and probably one of my most memorable runs.

I got back to my hotel, stretched and decided I needed to do some walking like I do after marathons. I put on some warm clothes and headed out for about 30 minutes. It was a great start to a great day in San Francisco. These types of runs are why I am a runner. Races and times are fun, but enjoying great company and scenery are what make it special.

This evening I decided to do something I have never done before. I rode a cable car from downtown to Fisherman's Wharf. I rode on the outside holding onto the handle. It reminded me of the old "Doris Day Show." (I know I am dating myself.)

Stats - 15.27 miles/2:19:11/9:06 pace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home